So what does one do when there is baking to be done, but not enough time to go buy a bunch of ingredients? I do a little thing called cupboard cooking. Loose translation? 'Ummm, so I have cherry jam and biscuits and coconut, what can I make with this stuff?' This cherry ripe slice is the end result.
3/4 packet of Milk Arrowroot biscuits
150 grams butter, melted
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon coconut essence
1/2 cup cooking cocoa powder
1 jar of dark cherry jam (about 280 grams)
5-6 tablespoons of cream cheese
3/4 cup icing sugar
100 grams chocolate, melted
1) Line a 20-25 cm tray with baking paper (depending on how thick you want the biscuit layer).
2) Crush the biscuits roughly and then place in a blender to form fine crumbs (alternatively, get all that anger out and use a rolling pin).
3) Pour the melted butter into a bowl containing the crushed biscuits and mix together. Add the shredded coconut, coconut essence and cocoa powder. Push the biscuit mix into the bottom of the tray.
4) In a separate bowl mix the cherry jam with the cream cheese until there are no lumps (there may be lumps of cherry, this is totally fine! You just don't want lumpy cream cheese). Add the icing sugar and combine until all the ingredients are mixed together. Pour over the biscuit base and smooth.
5) Pour melted chocolate over the top of the slice and run a knife through it, creating a marbled effect with the cherry cream cheese layer and the chocolate. Refrigerate for at least an hour or until you feel the cherry layer has started to set.
6) Gorge yourself.